Re: [Phys-l] a nonlinear ODE

On 12/29/2008 10:02 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:

The scaling argument is cute, but how did you come to choose to
divide x by s^3 and t by s^2?

A reasonable question. I posted the result without
explaining where it came from. FWIW for me this stuff
is like riding a bike: It's easier to do it than to
explain it ... but I can explain it if need be.

So here's the procedure: scale x by its own factor p,
and scale t by its own factor q:
x = y/p
t = τ/q

Then plug into equation [1]. Then collect factors of
p and q and see what you have to do so that the new
equation has the _same form_ as the old equation.
(If you take logarithms, the task begins to look a lot
like balancing a chemical reaction equation.)

Actually you could have known before we started that
p would go like the 1.5 power of q, because of the
solution x ∝ t^1.5 that we already had.

I rewrote 1.5 as 3/2 and wrote p as s^3 and q as s^2.

You appear to have
rigged up yours to give less intercept and slope, is that the
criterion you used to choose them?

The _criterion_ is that the equation shall be scale-invariate
with respect to changes in the scale-factor s.

OTOH I was very unsurprised to find that large s gave me a
small y-intercept and initial slope. I was expecting this
based on playing with the spreadsheet, looking at zoomed-out
versions of the picture I posted.

In any case, you have convinced me that I have found the asymptotic
solution. Let's define A(t)=sqrt(4k/3)*t^1.5 (A for asymptotic). Can
that help us find the general solution to my original equation
[f(t)=k*t]? I'm thinking of writing something like x(t)=[T(t)+1]*A(t)
where T(t) is a transient that decays to zero as t->infinity. This
approach just leads me to a mess when I sub it into my ODE. But maybe
there's another approach someone can suggest?

I would not recommend writing the general solution as (something)*A(t).
The problem is that A(t) goes through (0,0) which makes it very hard
to describe what the general solution is doing in the small-t regime.
And that's where all the action is; we already understand the large-t
regime (via the scaling argument).

There's a lot of other things you could try, e.g.
z(t) + t^1.5
or
(z(t) + t)^1.5
or
z( t^1.5 )

Those at least have a chance of nontrivial small-t behavior along
with the correct large-t behavior. I don't actually expect those
to help much, i.e. I expect the equation for z(t) to be a mess,
but it doesn't cost much to try.

=========

I ask again: How badly do you need a closed-form solution to this
equation? In this business, it pays to take a step back and ask
what it means to "solve" a problem. The conventional and sensible
advice is that your priority should be to _understand_ the what
x(t) is going to do. Understanding does not mean that it is
necessary or even possible to write down the solution in closed
form in terms of known functions.