Re: [Phys-l] glassware needed

At 12:34 -0500 12/29/08, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I want to do a lab activity using a small immersion heater and a beaker of
water. However, our beakers all have the usual sloped tops with a spout.
The clip on the immersion heater is meant for a coffee cup with straight
sides, and does not secure well to the beaker. It will fit on a tall
graduated cylinder, but then it is difficult to mix the water to get a
good temperature readings.

So I am looking for a straight sided beaker (graduated if available) to do
this experiment. I searched unsuccessfully on the interned, but only found
straight sided plastic beakers and jars. Nothing made of glass and
graduated.

Don't know about straight-sided beakers, but if you end up having to use the tall graduated cylinders, you might try using the magnetic stirrers that the chemists like (hot plate--which can be set to zero heat--with a rotating magnet beneath the heating element which causes a little magnet in the liquid container to spin and mix the liquid) to keep the temperature fairly uniform.

BTW, I have tried experiments using those immersion heaters in the past and found that the heat losses through the walls of the container as well as the liquid surface are so large that it is hard to get very reliable results. I hope you have a better plan than I did to minimize extraneous heat losses.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

So called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don't let them get away with it!!
Chip Giller, founder of Grist.org