Re: [Phys-l] Question about Quarks and the Standard Model

I also, hope to enjoy learning about this stuff.

On Dec 13, 2008, at Dec 13(Sat) 10:44 , Jack Uretsky wrote:

No, the coulomb force does not come from the "exchange of gauge
bosons (the photon)". Photons exert only transverse forces; the coulomb
force is longitudinal.

hmmm, never put these two facts together.
I'll have to rank this right up there as a major misconception.
gotta pull out those Feynman Lectures.
but just a word or two before I locate the books - would be appreciated.

I do NOT recommend the Wikipedia article,

Ok, here comes one of my MAJOR beefs with the physics folk represented on this list AND in other venues of recent years.
Wikipedia articles are collaborations of 'experts' in the appropriate fields.
There are controversial articles that are actually 'moderated' to hold down the writings of certified nutcases.
These articles are often on religious or political topics - NOT on physics topics.
The physics community needs to grow up and realize that 'we' can indeed work together to produce a non-judgmental, neutral point of view (NPoV) discussion of ANY topic related to physics.
It's not easy, never will be.
Worthwhile endeavors rarely ARE easy.
But don't we owe it to the world to TRY to create non-judgmental and NPoV discussions of our favorite topics - so that the world can benefit from our collective 'wisdom'?
My humble request is that we -

QUIT BITCHING ABOUT PHYSICS ARTICLES IN THE WIKIPEDIA AND
START FIXING THEM!!!!!

(I would HOPE that we could do better than the religio-politico nutcases in this regard.)

moving on:
or any other discussion that speaks of ``wave-particle
duality'' which, in my view, is a nonsense concept (for the benefit of the
more advanced practitioner, Bardeen, among others taught us that the
relevant dichotomy is coherence and incoherence).

ok, it's coherence vs incoherence. I think that I can appreciate this dichotomy.
But, as a dedicated pedagog who wants to bring as much understanding as I can to the 'great unwashed' -
must I put aside the wave/particle words when dealing with true beginners?
Can't I use the analogy of
wave => incoherent and
particle => coherent
as a warm-up exercise?
or is there too much evil lurking in the words wave and particle for this to be acceptible?)