Re: [Phys-l] Transparency

On 10/10/2008 08:46 AM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

I am curious: how would one typically inject charge into diamond?
Could you just deposit a metal electrode on it and have it work
efficiently?

Making ohmic contacts to any semiconductor (large gap or small)
is a black art. If you just deposit a nice layer of metal on
the surface, you're going to get a Schottky barrier diode, not
an ohmic contact.

I've asked quite a few world-class experts how ohmic contacts
work, and never gotten a straight answer. Various recipes are
well known, but the underlying physics is obscure. My *guess*
is that it has to do with making lots of small, sharp points
and relying on field emission.

For present purposes, it is probably best to postpone asking
about "typical" or "practical" charge injection, and instead
to start by considering _ideal_ charge injection, such as
could be achieved by using a super-high voltage, from a static
electricity machine or some such, to inject the charge by
brute force.

If I take a chunk of copper, for example, and connect a multimeter to
it to measure its resistance, the mere placement of the probe by hand
is enough to inject plenty of charge to form a measurable current and
make the determination. My intuition might tell me that I would
measure an analogous diamond chunk as having very high resistance,
and hence would assume it to have insulating properties. But I
wouldn't know if my issue was the probe (that is, a poor experiment).
Your point is well taken though - high resistance is not charge
immobility, although I'm not sure where the line is crossed.

That's the right set of questions.

You can clarify most of the "probe" issues by using a four-point
probe. For any semiconductor, if you don't go to the trouble of
making good (black-art) ohmic contacts, touching wires to the
crystal will give you a resistance reading of the form "zero
divided by zero", as it should, since the Schottky barrier diodes
prevent you from injecting any current.

Actually, with rare exceptions, for *any* serious resistance
measurement, you should a four-point probe.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/four-point-probe.png

Conversely, if you do make good ohmic contacts, the bulk diamond
will carry current just fine.

I don't know enough about diamond to make good guesses.

Diamond has the same crystal structure as silicon, so you
can get a good start by applying everything you know about
silicon, just with a larger band gap.

As previously mentioned, silicon at liquid nitrogen temperature
has essentially the same physics as diamond at room temperature,
at least as far as the band structure is concerned.