From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf
Of Robert Beichner
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:19 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] lab assessment

Kyle,

Our test info page mentions the measurement and uncertainty
test developed by Duane Deardorff. He has put the test and
additional info at
<http://www.physics.unc.edu/%7Edeardorf/uncertainty/index.html>.

Bob Beichner
NCSU

On Sep 30, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Kyle Forinash wrote:

Hi;

Can anyone point me to a [simple] pre/post test that assesses
laboratory/data analysis skills? The only think I see on
the NC State
assessment web site (http://www.ncsu.edu/per/TestInfo.html)
that might apply is kinematic graphs but I think this is
more narrow
than what I was looking for.

Specifically (as part of a campus wide assessment program for
accreditation purposes) some time ago we set up the
following general
laboratory goals for all of the natural sciences and (naturally
enough) don't have the foggiest clue how to assess them.
------------------------
[Students should:]
1. Understand the role of empirical data in establishing scientific
knowledge.
Students explore how data are collected and combined to reach a
scientific conclusion. In lab they design and execute
experiments to
obtain empirical scientific data. Specifically students:
a) Participate in laboratory work.
b) Determine if the methods of an experiment are
accurate enough to
test the hypothesis (or predictions).
c) Critique experimental design and procedure.
d) Identify how the methods could be improved.

We don't want to spend a lot of time doing this, enough
effort to make
it useful to us (and of course the campus wide committee).

Anyone have any suggestions?

kyle