[Phys-l] Still More Global Warming

I am still trying to understand Global Warming -- and the topic just seems not to go away -- even Gore on Oprah for Pete's sake.

Do I understand correctly? -- sort of?:

Every 23kyr or so the Earth warms up -- and some 12kyr later it freezes. Ocean level varies some 30m in the process. The people in Florida don't much like this; the people in Canada are delighted when it gets warmer.

Sometimes people make a mess of the atmosphere -- worse in some places -- eg in LA and Bejing (sp?)

We need some green house gasses to keep tolerably warn -- nuclear reactions in the core don't suffice.

But why 23kyrs? Well that is the period of the Earth's precession.

But why does the precession change the Earth's average temperature? Yes, the tilt tinkers with weather patterns, but the cross section toward the Sun doesn't change.

A bit of tutoring would be appreciated.

Jim

J M Green
Email: MailTo:JMGreen@sisna.com