Re: [Phys-l] Motion in 1D, vectors and vector components

Regarding the suggestion in the message below that one uses (at least
early on) arrays instead of expressions like:
v = v_x e_x + v_y e_y + v_z e_z
as well as an earlier suggestion that one treat 1-D motion as 3-D motion
in which, for a given choice of basis vectors, two of the array elements
are always zero:
In Six Ideas, when Thomas Moore uses an array to represent a vector in
terms of a specified basis, he uses a column array. He uses one of the
suggestions here where he considers 1-D motion to be motion in 3 D which
happens to occur along a line. So, when he covers 1-D motion, all the
column vectors have two 0 elements and indeed and he expects students to
write the full column vector for every relevant variable in every
relevant solution to a 1-D problem. One advantage to using column
vectors to represent vectors is that, when he gets to 3-D motion, a
vector equation, written in terms of column vectors, "looks like" the
corresponding set of three "scalar" equations to which, in a particular
basis, it is equivalent. I estimate that he is in the ballpark of 95%
consistent with that notation where the occasional representation of a
vector as a row vector does occur.

Aside, regarding notation: Thomas Moore uses a word for "unit vector"
that I have never seen used that way anywhere else; he calls a unit
vector a "directional". In that context the word "directional" is a
noun.