Re: [Phys-l] Motion in 1D, vectors and vector components

Tim F. wrote in part:

_____

| I am currently planning:
| 1) to do vectors first from Ch 3 and discuss components of vectors
| 2) to cover 1D motion from Ch 2, but be more careful about
| the terminology
| 3) to finish Ch 3 and 2D motion.

I've essentially done this for the last couple of years. Actually
introduce vectors purely as geometric objects at first; i.e. arrows,
this is done briefly, but show adding and subtracting head-to-tail, etc.

Then define velocity pictorially and acceleration.

Then we do applications, of which 1D is the first application.

The major problem is that hardly any books do it this way. I got hooked
on the sequence from one book that does it thusly. A book that seems to
be rather reviled by many; but I like, well written with generally well
thought out diagrams (not enough problems though).