Re: [Phys-l] Sharing a problem for students

Dec 21, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

If you do a search (Google, Wikipedia, etc) you will find "dynamic
equilibrium" usefully defined
only for chemical and biological interactions. In Mechanics a
somewhat related set of useful concepts is stable vs unstable
equilibrium.

Note that in mechanics we say that an object at rest under the action
of a set of forces which sum to zero is in a state of static
equilibrium. This same object could be said to be in a state of
dynamic equilibrium when viewed from a different frame, in which the
object is in motion. This distinction does not add much and AFAICT is
not used.

Consider a cone with its flat base in contact with a horizontal table top. Try to tilt it slightly and notice that a restoring torque is produced. That is why we say that the equilibrium is stable. The equilibrium is said to be unstable when the cone is turned upside down. In this configuration, even a tiny angular tilt of the axis will produce a destructive torque. And the equilibrium is said to be neutral when the cone is resting on its side. That how most of us were introduced to the concept of stable and unstable equilibrium.

A weight at rest, supported by a vertical spring, is also said to be in stable equilibrium. Try to displace it slightly, either up or down, and a restoring force appears. The equilibrium, we say, is stable in the position of minimum potential energy. The same is true for a pendulum, or for a more complicated system. I am looking at Figure 8-22 in Giancoli’s textbook; it shows a potential energy curve with two minima (two possible stable equilibrium positions). Referring to one minimum, x0, the author writes: “If the object at rest at x=x0 were moved slightly to the left or right, a nonzero force would act on it in the direction to move it back toward x0. An object that returns toward its equilibrium point when displaced slightly is said to be at a point of stable equilibrium. Any minimum in the potential energy curve represents a point of stable equilibrium. . . . Points like x4, where the potential energy curve has a maximum, are points of unstable equilibrium.” An object is said to be in neutral equilibrium, when small virtual displacements do not result in a change of its potential energy.

Yes, I know that this is common knowledge. That is why it is a good starting point. Consider a solar system in which a single planet (mass m) revolves the sun (mass M>>m) along the circular orbit of radius R. The potential energy U(r)=-G*M*m/r increases (becomes less negative) when r becomes larger (U becomes zero at infinity). Thus the r=R does not represent a minimum. And yet, we know, that the orbit is stationary (durable, stable, unchanging). How to reconcile this undeniable fact with a statement that stability calls for a minimum of potential energy? A tiny change in r would not create a restoring force toward r=R. It would simply changes the orbit, from circular to elliptic. The concept of “dynamical equilibrium” was probably invented to describe stability of orbits. I have a heretical idea on how to reconcile the apparent paradox. But first I want to know what others think. I do not to want to be embarrassed again.

By the way, the U=-G*M*M/r is also applicable to a double star system (two identical stars of mass M on a circular orbit of radius R). This system seems to be simpler than a solar system; the center of mass is always at rest, not only when M>>m. In rest with respect to what? With respect to an absolute frame of reference invented by Newton.
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/