[Phys-l] Bernoulli's Principle

Following the advice of Richard Feynman, I always try to conceptualize physical phenomena using as many different models as I can. When it comes to the Bernoulli principle, I have a problem with the average particle motion model. Perhaps someone can correct my conceptual error.

My conceptual model is as follows: Imagine a straight pipe becoming constricted along the positive x-direction. As the fluid moves in this positive x-direction, the average particle velocity must increase slightly in the positive x-direction by an amount equal to the velocity of the flow, and since all collisions are elastic, there must be a corresponding decrease in the other directions. Most of a given particle's velocity is thermal, of course, and thus quite large compared to the flow velocity and in a mostly random direction. The decrease in velocity in the y- and z-directions means softer collisions with the pipe wall and thus lower pressure. Hence the Bernoulli principle.

While all this seems quite logical, I fail to see the mechanism whereby the pipe wall at the constriction enhances the average velocity in the positive x-direction. In fact, the angle of the constriction would tend to *decrease* the average velocity in the positive x-direction. For example, imagine a particle with only a positive x-velocity approaching the constriction very close to the pipe wall. It collides with the wall and converts part of its energy into y- and/or z-velocity, thereby decreasing the positive x-velocity. Particles with velocities normal to the pipe wall before the constriction also decrease their positive x-velocity through collisions with the wall at the constriction. Moreover, though the collisions among the particles themselves serves to maintain the constant density because collisions are more frequent when the density is larger, those collisions cannot add momentum in the positive x-direction.

Clearly there is a flaw in my conceptualization. The question is: where?

Richard Blade

Richard Blade
13631 E. Marina Dr. #302
Aurora, CO 80014