Re: [Phys-l] Bernoulli Effect

This sounds reasonable, but then I always wondered how certain planes can
fly upside-down. Are the wings on these planes shaped differently?

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
OK, even Algebra-based college physics students ask this kind of
thing; so, let me give this a try...

Let's look at 2 particles, one goes over the wing, and one goes
under. If the one going under the wing goes faster (shorter distance
and shorter time) it gets to the end of the wing first, while the
other particle is still over the top of the wing.

This makes the next 2 particles do the same. After a while the
particles will 'back up' on top of the wing. If that were the case,
the density would have to become greater over the wing, pushing down
more on the wing, and it would not fly!

Since this clearly doesn't happen, we can appeal to the equation of
continuity and Bernoulli's equation to 'rectify' this problem by
showing that the particles over the top must go faster, which means
the top pressure is lower.

Does that help/work?

Peter Schoch
SCCC