[Phys-l] what to do with inherited mess

Hi all;

Through a long chain of circumstances our (very small; two people) department ended up with two sets of very large electro magnets and very old (25+ years) electronics intended to do ENDOR (Electron-Nuclear DOuble Resonance) experiments. The person who contributed this equipment got as far as getting water and 220V lines into the room and figuring out the power supply for the magnet no longer functions before he go himself fired (for other reasons). We have no grad students, do not have even an undergrad major in physics (although we have a junior level lab course) and I am pretty much all thumbs in the lab except for relatively simple things.
My questions are:
1) Does anyone have any idea what kind of time and money resources would be required to get this up and running for a student lab (or is this way beyond what could be done in a junior lab even if it were working)?
2) What are my options here, short of hiring someone who knows what they are doing and has a large budget to replace equipment? Are there simple experiments that can be done with these large magnets (I'm not even sure how big they are but the former owner said they cost on the order of $40k each)?

I'm really clueless what to do with this stuff (and it is taking up a lot of room).

Thanks for any advice.

kyle
'Violence is the last refuge of the
incompetent.'