Re: [Phys-l] what to do with inherited mess

From: WC Maddox

The magnet could be used in experiment o measure Hall Effect coefficient. This would require a power supply that could supply several amps. Our magnet requires 3.5 A for max field. We have done the experiment with fields in the .2 to .4 T range. You would need some way to measure magnetic field ( PASCO meter ~ 1,000). PASCO Science Workshop/Data Studio includes magnetic field probe.The Hall effect sample we use cost ~ $1,000 from Daedalon. You would also need several multimeters for measuring currents and voltages. The basic part of the experiment we do could be done in junior level lab.

End Message

A1) Does anyone have any idea what kind of time and money resources would
be required to get this up and running for a student lab (or is this way
beyond what could be done in a junior lab even if it were working)?
2) What are my options here, short of hiring someone who knows what they
are doing and has a large budget to replace equipment? Are there simple
experiments that can be done with these large magnets (I'm not even sure
how big they are but the former owner said they cost on the order of
$40k each)?