Re: [Phys-l] Impact velocity

At 02:52 PM 10/15/2007, you wrote:
Article on first real test of a motorcycle airbag.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14328936/detail.html

My question is what is an "impact rate"? How is it different than the
speed one hits the ground at? It would seem that 140 mph was
excessive - perhaps not survivable. Is some strange unit or just
media nonsense. No mention of charges against the cyclist.

Scott

Scott Goelzer Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy
Northwood NH 03261...

I am guessing that if the motorbike rider's forward speed was 140 MPH,
his impact rate would have been some fraction of that speed, while he skidded
or rolled along the ground following impact.

Here's the quote in question:
"McPhatter was ejected 100 feet, hitting the ground at an impact rate of 140 mph."

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!