Re: [Phys-l] Parapsychology and AAAS

At 11:05 AM -0400 6/26/07, Faraday321@aol.com wrote:

Does anyone know the story of how Parapsychology became recognized as science by the AAAS? Apparently this is still true. Does anyone know if there are
any efforts underway to oppose the
continued inclusion of Parapsychology in the AAAS?

It happened while Margaret Mead was Pres. of the AAAS. Apparently she had some experiences that convinced her that there was something of value in parapsychology and so she campaigned during her tenure to add a PS section. I don't think that the organization was very enthusiastic about it, but she had a lot of prestige and she was getting on in years, so I don't think they wanted to fight her over the issue.

Maybe others know what the PS section has done since its formation, but I have not seen any evidence that it has contributed anything of note to AAAS.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar