To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Cc: "Nancy Seese" <nancyseese@redshift.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Time Outside of Class

Gate Keeper Seese has (in first grade) an Asperger's kid. He has a full
time teacher aide who works w/ him while Nancy teaches. Because Nancy
has more than the max. number of students, she also has a part time
assistant. Unfortunately, because the child is under 18 the parent can
interfere and has. The most recent kafuffle involved four people
including the principal. This all is an enormous expense, but being a
lefty, I don't mind that some of my tax money is going to him and many
others so unfortunate. Because of this accommodation perhaps he and
Michael's student may end up as productive citizens. At the least they
will be happier ones.

bc, thinks in the long run it may be money well spent.

Michael Edmiston wrote:

Concerning the parent who called the professor and wanted a make-up test for
the her son because he had an anxiety attack on exam day...

(1) Don't do anything illegal... such as talking to the parent. If a
student is 18 years old (or older) and a parent calls, unless the student
has signed a waiver giving you permission to talk to the parent, you have
broken FERPA law if you talk to the parent. The few times a parent has
called me, and there is no waiver, I simply tell the parent it is illegal

cut