Re: [Phys-l] Space Balloon

At 10:42 PM 2/19/2007, Herb, you wrote:

> On Earth a helium filled balloon rises because of bouyancy. How
> would the same helium filled ballon move in a spacecraft (eg space
shuttle
> cabin) if it was
> a) in orbit around Earth
> b) in "deep" space
*** a) If the spacecraft is in orbit around the earth, there must be a
downward force on the spacecraft to keep it in orbit. Remember that the
space shuttle cabin is usually filled with air at atmospheric pressure to
keep the astronauts happy. Since the helium filled balloon is lighter
than the air in the cabin, the air buoyancy force would lift it toward
the ceiling of the spacecraft.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where helium filled balloons rise toward the ceilings of our subways)

I found it interesting to view some scenes of astronauts "playing"
in orbit. Specifically, if they released a bubble of negative buoyancy
from a drinker,the water blob hung in space.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!