From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Shapiro, Mark
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 4:13 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Mary Burgan's Defense of Lecturing

I've used both lecturing and more active teaching methods. The active
methods produced slightly better results, but the major problem these days
is not the teachers, it's the learners. They no longer seem to be willing
to expend any time studying.

I've just retired after 36 years of teaching. This past semester I taught
two sections of an introductory physics sequence with calculus along with
two active learning type labs.

Most of my students were taking 9 or more semester units of science and
math classes. I emphasized that they needed to put in at least 3 hours of
study for every hour in class. However, when I surveyed the classes
during the semester I found that no student was spending more than 10
hours a week TOTAL studying for ALL their classes.

Unless students are willing to expend a reasonable amount of effort on
learning, nothing we do with regard to teaching techniques will help much.

Mark

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Professor of Physics, Emeritus
California State University, Fullerton