Re: [Phys-l] Technique diffusion. Was: Re: laser

Hardin is exactly right.

A standard part of the pitch I make to teachers about doing science is that public science...the papers at meetings... told me very little about what really happened. If I wanted to know, what I call the real private science, I would always chat with the person in the hall, or wherever. That is the real purpose of those meetings. There are few surprises in the talks, they mostly come in the private conversations.

I make that point because for the most part pre-college teachers think science is the public stuff, when in reality it is the private stuff you only know if you are part of the community. The reformed science curriculum is really private science, not public, or worse yet, school science...the encyclopedia...and teachers need to become aware of private science if they are really going to engage their students.

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College