[Phys-l] Oxygenation Sensors

Parallel to the thread on IR thermometers is the oxygen saturation sensors (pulse oximeters) used in hospitals. It clamps on a patient's finger and reads the relative oxygen saturation of the patient's blood and counts the pulse rate. It uses two different wavelengths of light. Wikipedia says the LEDs used as light sources are red (660 nm) and infrared (905, 910 or 940 nm). BTW, this matches what I remember from a journal article I read several years ago. These two wavelengths correspond to two wavelengths where the oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin spectra differ significantly. By using two wavelengths, the calculational algorithm does not need to worry about differing pathlengths and general absorptivity differences between different patient's fingers. Interesting how a basic understanding of physics (and chemistry and biology) goes into what appear to be very simple electronic devices.

Richard Bowman
Dept. of Physics/Bridgewater College
Bridgewater, VA 22812 USA