Re: [Phys-l] data analysis (was independent variables)

Here's one example I use to show why one might graph data in various ways.

With a variable-separation air capacitor and a digital capacitance meter, acquire capacitance data as a function of plate separation. In the spirit of the original discussion, plate separation (d) is the independent variable, and capacitance (C) is the dependent variable.

The expected relation is C = eA/d where e is the permittivity and A is the plate area. How should this be graphed? As shown, it might be obvious to plot C versus 1/d to get a straight line with slope eA (and ultimately this is the best). Another possibility would be to write this as 1/C = d/eA and we could plot 1/C versus d to get a straight line with slope 1/eA.

Does it make a difference which way we do it? Yes, very much. First, again in the spirit of dependent/independent, I was taught that if possible, it is best not to mess with the independent variable. In this case that would mean the 1/C versus d plot would be preferred. This is because when your audience views the graph, an "unperturbed independent variable" is easier to understand. If the horizontal axis goes from 0 cm to 20 cm separation it is more comfortable for the viewer to get the feel for the graph and the range of the data acquisition (as opposed to having the horizontal axis plotting the reciprocal of the independent variable and the audience has to deal with the fact that large separations are then on the left and small separations are on the right). In other words, if the independent variable is plotted as itself, the audience is less likely to be confused by the graph, and of course one purpose of a graph is to display the data in a nonconfusing manner.

However, in this case, if you plot 1/C versus d you do not get a straight line. Why not? Because there are artifacts in the data beyond the expected data. Capacitance meters are difficult to zero, particularly if the meter is connected to the capacitor with some reasonable length of wires that add capacitance.

We can correct the equation by writing C = eA/d + C(wires) + C(meter) where C(meter) is the capacitance due to a meter that is not perfectly zeroed, and C(wires) is the wire capacitance. Let's combine these additions as C(offsets) and write the relation as C(measured) = eA/d + C(offsets).

With this relationship, which is actually what is happening, we don't have the choice to plot 1/C versus d if we want a straight line. We have to plot C versus 1/d. Oh...Oh... look what happens... the slope of the line is still eA, but now we have a vertical-intercept of C(offsets). Your linear graph is showing you the capacitance offsets of your system.

Now, if you want, you can use your intercept as a correction to the data. You can subtract the intercept from the data points, and your corrected data points are very close to the actual capacitance of the capacitor at the various separations.

On the other hand, perhaps your goal was to find the permittivity of the gas between the plates from the slope of the plot because e = slope/A. In that case, you don't even need to bother correcting the data because we see that the slope of the C versus 1/d plot is not affected by C(offsets).

I have the students plot C versus d, C versus 1/d, 1/C versus d and discover that only the C versus 1/d graph yields a straight line with raw data. Then they correct the data by subtracting the intercept-determined C(offsets) from the raw data. Then they remake all three plots with the corrected data. Now the 1/C versus d plot is straight, and the C versus 1/d plot is still straight but also has a zero intercept.

This actually comes as a surprise to many students, but most fairly quickly can say, "Duh, what did I expect?" Those who have the graphing epiphany have learned something worthwhile, and that is a big reason I do this experiment, because the physics is pretty trivial. Unfortunately, perhaps 10% of the class never see the light and the whole graphing experience of plotting 1/C or 1/d or correcting the data is just a big blur for them. But it seems to me that a few graphing experiences like this are good experiences, and I do have a few more experiments where we do very similar things with graphs.

I think one of the major lessons from this experience is learning that the way you graph the data might divulge artifacts in your data. In addition to showing you the artifact, a particular plot might render the artifact inconsequential. That is, if experimental offsets only show up in the intercept, or only in the slope, and you can get the information you want from the unaffected parameter, then the proper graph choice can render some experimental difficulties harmless.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817