Re: [Phys-l] gravitational force

For about 20 years the intermediate and advanced labs. at UCSC were largely based on the famous basic experiments, e.g. oil drop, Fizeau - Foucault speed of light, Cavendish, etc. We kept a file of the original papers and the students were expected to read them. They are 40 miles away, so I suggest one take advantage of JB's cross posting and check for ones self:

http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/(dr5ece551054aw45zsveyx55)/app/home/main.asp?referrer=default <http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/%28dr5ece551054aw45zsveyx55%29/app/home/main.asp?referrer=default>

Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, v. 88, (1798) p. 469-474.

bc

p.s. to make it easier for youall:

http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/(dr5ece551054aw45zsveyx55)/app/home/issue.asp?referrer=parent&backto=journal,90,112;linkingpublicationresults,1:120135,1 <http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/%28dr5ece551054aw45zsveyx55%29/app/home/issue.asp?referrer=parent&backto=journal,90,112;linkingpublicationresults,1:120135,1>

p.p.s As written by John Stong, JB's recollection isn't quite it. -- Cavendish was confirming Newton's estimate of the earth's density.

jbellina wrote:

As I recall, Weighing the Earth was the title of the paper he wrote about his experiment.

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556