Re: [Phys-l] The History of MASS

JMC got it, but I'll add.

It's likely that the wagons an elem. or middle school likely has will have sig. friction. So 200 # on a 20# wagon will significantly increase the friction. So, what ever, PS's experiment will always measure the friction force as a function of the weight. I suggest she obtain a high K spring scale attach it to the wagon and have a student pull such that it has a constant reading. If the school is affluent, then a Vernier force detector and their ultrasonic position detector together may be used. Thereby, w/ a little algebra defining a new column, rather constant force is unnecessary.

bc, who'd try it out if he didn't have to prepare for a talk early next month.

John M Clement wrote:

Unfortunately this explanation has some problems that can lead to misconceptions. The first one is that the frictional force increases. But if the frictional force were small then just pulling the wagon at a constant velocity would be an extremely low force for either situation.

A better explanation would be to have two air supported objects with different masses. Air hockey pucks would be OK, or students on air carts and explore how it takes more force to start or stop them. Arnold Arons advocated large blocks of dry ice on a level surface. This is actually better than air hockey pucks because there is no obvious source of power to confuse students. Or very low friction carts on level tracks with and without extra mass.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Your example of pushing the car leads to my explanation to younger students (grade school) differentiating mass and weight. They all remember pulling a wagon, so I ask them if it is easy to pull an empty wagon on a level sidewalk and they all agree that it would be. Then I ask them to imagine 5 of their buddies hopping into the wagon and they giggle at the image. I ask them to imagine pulling the wagon with that many children in it and whether it would be harder to pull than when it was empty. They can all agree it would be more difficult. I tell them that it is more difficult to move because of the additional MASS of the added bodies, not the weight as they are not trying to lift the wagon. Of course actually doing the activity would be better, but I usually have just an hour with them to give them a taste of "all" of physics.
Pati