Re: [Phys-l] Video Encyclopedia of Physics Demos (ownership)

"Fair use" proably has no application if you have agreed to a liceense. Fair use comes into play when you are using copyrighted materials, such as, for example, a library book, for which you have not been specifically licensed to use.
When you have agreed to the terms of a license, you are bound by the terms you have agreed to. The copyrighted material is the personal property of the author and, barring violation of antitrust laws or the like, the author can set whatever terms he/she l;kes on its use.
In case of doubt, contact tha author. That's not as exciting as explaining your actions to the FBI, but it is oftern more fruitful.
Regards,
Jack

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Rauber, Joel wrote:

| What does the license say? Hugh is bound by that. The
| well-paid lawyers will first look at the question, much
| discussed in the literature, as to whether the copyright
| holder has properly bound Hugh to the terms of the license.
|
| Regards,
| Jack
| Licinse! License! License! Has the message gotten through?

But Jack, you are not bound by illegal clauses in a license agreement,
are you? E.g. the license can not prohibit "fair use".

I think? (I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on television)

Joel R.