Re: [Phys-l] not our majors now!

Final two comments for now:

1. As I already implied, I almost always modify the problems to get more mileage out of them. With experience, I notice that it's often necessary to more fully "close the loop" on some problems, asking students to plot results, substitute trial numerical values, examine interesting limiting cases, etc. The "solutions manual" don't have all this. I can also ask for explanations of intermediate steps or alternative methods to get them. (Also there's the phenomenon of new editions of texts. That doesn't work so well for Griffiths, but does happen more with mechanics texts in my experience.)

2. Mike Monce complained this takes a lot of time. Absolutely true. Teaching a new course is therefore a *major* undertaking for me. Fortunately I love it and don't mind sacrificing a night a week of sleep for it. I know fully well a new course will take me at least 5 hours of prep for every classroom hour. But it gets easier with subsequent passes through the course. Usually the first time I just try to survive and learn as much as I can about the physics and generally go ask the previous instructor to give me copies of their homework and tests to "crib off" at least in part. (Even better, I try to sit in on their course if I know I'll be teaching it next. So far I have sat through at least 5 courses--in their entirety--taught by colleagues, including doing all the homework.)
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002