[Phys-l] The Helon Model and Possible connections to the Fitzpatrick two space mo...

This might be of interest.
INTRODUCTION
Here is a summary of the new particle model by Sundance O. Bilson-Thompson
of the University of Adelaide, Australia. This work represents an interesting
evolution of proposals forwarded by Haim Harari of the Weizmann Institute in
Israel and independently, Michael A Shupe of the University of Illinois.
This idea has been embraced by Lee Smolin and other Loop Quantum gravity
theorists because it shows promise of providing a particle theory which
satisfies diffeomorphism constrains something which string theory fails to do.
However these particle structures may well manifest as string physics at the
string scale and correspondence may be possible with the proposed topological
charge structure and the momentum states of the compactified Calabi-Yau space of
string theory.
Since this model describes a topological structure at the Planck scale, the
problems of how any structure can exist at what is predicted to be a chaotic
realm by standard Quantum theory becomes central. This gets us in deep water
because at this scale physical reality loses all it macro attributes.
However, like LQG this theory presumes a pre geometric causal structure not too
dissimilar from causal set theory or causal dynamical triangulations.
This pre geometric causal structure may also be related to the ideas
proposed by H.B. Nielsen, D.L. Bennett and N Brene in their landmark “Developments
in Quantum Field Theory” which involved proposals which attempted to explain
how the standard model symmetries were emergent properties of an underlying
Planck scale physics.
This model is also very much in the spirit of the particle ontology
advocated by Feynman, Sorkin, Stenger and others. Here however, it can be no surprise
that the model of point particles is merely a low energy approximation. A
more complete theory requires a real structure for the fundamental building
blocks of nature. However, it can not be avoided that the truly fundamental
structure that forms the building blocks for particles are the quantized causal
structure which at low energy emerges as space time. So in this model we see a
unification of atom and void as emergent properties of a more fundamental
underlying structure.
Of course part of my interest here is to explore any possible connections
between the Fitzpatrick two space model and the helon model. The Two Space
model postulates the existence of topological constrains in Neutrino mixing,
predicting bimaximal or near bimaximal equilibrium mixing ratios for neutrinos,
which has been confirmed by the observation of solar, reactor and cosmic
neutrinos. However, what is lacking is a more fundamental explanation for these
topological constrains. As will be obvious such a structure would seem to be a
logical extension of the Helon model.
THE ORIGINAL PRE QUARK THEORY
The idea that there exist yet another layer of structure for fermions was
very much part of mainstream physics in the 70’s. The success of QCD seemed to
open the possibility of a unification model based on a more fundamental
particle structure for all the fermions.
The pre quark theory which serves as a precursor for the Helon model is the
Rishon (Hebrew for primary) model of Haim Harari and Michael Shupe. I will
briefly describe this model because it forms the basis for the Helon model.
The failings of this model relate to its failure to account for the existence
of fermion generations and the difficulty of any formulation of composite
structure in the low mass lepton sector. These issues were clearly stated by
Harari and Shupe in their original proposal.
Harari and Shupe postulated that there are only two fundamental particles
in nature. All other particles in the Universe are composite structures made
up of these particles. This of course required a confinement scheme and
Harari and Shupe propose a new SU (3) color force, which Harari calls hyper color,
to account for the needed confinement for this new layer of structure. (I
will use the better known Harari terminology henceforth here.)
These particles are
Tohu ( Formless)
Electric charge +1/3
Hyper color
Color charge
Vavohu ( void)
Electric charge 0
Hyper color
Anti Color charge
So just looking at the first generation we get (Anti particles
Rishons lower case letters)
U= TTV Ubar= ttv
d= vvt dbar=VVT
e = ttt ebar= TTT
v_e=VVV v_ebar= vvv
Of particular interest here is the relationship between electric charge and
particle anti particle identity. In formulating the mathematical model for
absorber and emitter amplitudes in the interaction theory to incorporate the
supplemental states the particle anti particle structure is very apparent for
the strong force. However, in the electroweak sector the amplitude divides
along charge polarity. This was puzzling until you realize that this particle
anti particle structure for the electroweak interaction emerges at a more
fundamental level.
MAGENETIC CONFINMENT OF PRE QUARKS
The problem of the very low mass of fermions in the lepton sector makes any
confinement scheme involving Noether charges such as the proposed hyper color
force, very difficult to make workable. Also the addition of a new and
unobserverable force seemed uneconomic.
This led Clemons Heuson to propose that the confinement mechanism for the
Pre quarks proposed by Harari and Shupe might be based on magnetic monopole
charges. Monopoles are predicted to exist by grand unification theory but so far
none have been detected. Heuson proposal has these magnetic monopole charges
existing at the most fundamental level, but that nature doesn't allow bare
magnetic monopole charge to be observed. Just as naked color or fractional
charge is never seen.
In this model the T particle becomes a dyon and the V particle a monopole.
From the Magnetic electric duality charge requirement
q_1*g_2-q_2*g_1 = (hbar*c/2)*N
which gives as the most parsimonious magnetic charge structure as
( 1,2,-3)
So that we get (using the same notation for particle anti particle
notation).
e= t(-1)t(3)t(-20
v_e=V(1)V(-3)V(2)
u_r=V(1)T_(-3)T(2)
u_b=T(1)V(-3)T(2)
u_g=T(1)T(-3)V(2)
d_r=t(-1)v(-3)v(-2)
d_b=v(-3)t(3)v(-2)
d_g=v(-1)v(-3)v(2)
This model also goes on to predict specific structure for bosons including
the graviton. However, the most important part of this proposal involves the
concept that particle structure is topological in origin. This concept meshes
well with Loop Quantum gravity providing a possible connection between the
underlying causal discrete structure of the “atoms” of space time and
fundamental particles. This idea also provides a deeper more fundamental conceptual
basis for particle ontology. And finally it may provide an identified
physical basis for the topological predictions of the two space model.
THE HELON MODEL
The Helon model of Sundance O Bilson-Thompson requires abandoning the idea
that particles are point like objects. In his proposal Thompson models the
fundamental particles as topological structure of space time itself. (Though
at the Planck scale it might be more accurate to say these are topological
structures of the relational order between the causal structures which makes up
space-time.)
Therefore, while these structures are presented as ribbon like entities
which can braid and twist it must be remembered that these structures exist at
the pre geometry Planck scale. So while this simple depiction is useful, the
actual entities might more accurately be modeled as a sum over topologies
involving the twist and braid charges of this model.
.
Z= Integral D[T] D[theta] exp{ -Integral d^4x Sqrt[g] ( R-L_matter)
Unfortunately such a Mathematical structure is not well defined but work
progresses to make this proposal more rigorous. More on this point later.
The fundamental building block is the Helon, which is analogous to the
Rishon in the original Harari- Shupe model.
As mentioned , the Helon can be modeled as a ribbon structure. This ribbon
can be topological charged, represented as a twist of the ribbon. These
charges are called Tweedles. They come in two polarities tweedle-dee and
tweedle-dum. (Don’t blame me for this terminology) Mercifully Thompson also equates a
dum with U and Dee with E. Charges come in pairs of +-pi twists. So that
each charge pair results in either a 0 or +-2*pi twist.
So since U= +pi and E=-pi we get
UU=+2*pi EE=-2*pi UE=EU=0
These topological charges equate with 0 or +- 1/3 electric charge.
The Helons always form triplet structures which allow an additional
topological charge called braiding. This can be depicted as the ribbons twisting
around each other. This can be mathematically represented as a crossing of
beginning and end point positions for the ribbons. This braiding relates to the
helicity of the particle. So we get
Left = {B_13 B_21 B_32} Right = {B_12 B_23 B_31}
It can be seen here that
P {B_13 B_21 B_32} = {B_12 B_23 B_31}
The twisting Charge can be seen to be related to the SU (3) color symmetry
while the braiding charge relates to the SU (2) _w symmetry. Therefore these
are emergent symmetries based on the extended helon structure.
Based on this we get
e(+)= H(+) H(+) H(+)
V_e= H(0) H(0) H(0)
e(-) = H( -) H(-) H(-)
u_b= H(+) H(+) H(0)
u_g= H(+) H(0) H(+)
u_r=H(0) H(+) H(+)
d_b= H(0) H(0) H(-)
d_g=H(0) H(-) H(0)
d_r= H(-) H(0) H(0)
Therefore we get
Q_SU(3)_c =
½ { b-r r-g g-b}= ½{ T_1-T_3 T_2_T_1 T_3-T_2 }
Here we can see that the neutrino is its own antiparticle. We get the
following multiplet structure based on helicity and electric charge.
{e (+) U(+) d(+) } _L { v_R d(+) U(+) e(+)}_R
{ e(-) U(-) d(-)}_R { v_L d(-) U(-) e(_) }_L
In this model particles with braid charge (crossed ribbons) are spinors.
All the electroweak bosons carry zero braid charge. ( no crossed ribbons) This
structure accounts for the restricted weak coupling we see in weak
interactions which is only between same family generations. Of course this is a broken
symmetry in the quark sector, but this symmetry is expected to exist at high
energy even in the quark sector as illustrated by the proposed quark lepton
complementarity proposal.
Interestingly this model provides no fundamental structure for gravitons or
scalar particles. This may be a flaw or it may be indicating something
fundamental about which fields are fundamental quantum fields. It may well be that
scalar particles and gravitons are a next layer up of collective excitations
of the more fundamental matter fields , an idea suggested by Afsar Abbas and
others as well as Sakharov for gravity.
THE FAMILY PROBLEM
In the Fitzpatrick model it is proposed that the reason we observe bimaximal
equilibrium mixing ratios , in other words the reason the parameters of
the MNS mixing matrix have the values it does, is because the upper family
fermions have a different topology than the first family fermions. This is
illustrated by the application of the F(V) operator to the Fermion charge
vectors which produces different results between the first and second/third family.
Therefore any model which describes Fermions as composite topological
structure would certainly be of interest.
This fermion generation explanation of the Helon model has not been worked
out in detail yet so I am limited in what I can say. However, it is perfectly
conceivable that a three valued topology will emerge. There is of course
strong experimental support for the existence of only three Fermion families.
In the Fitzpatrick model the global U square charge related directly to this
model given by
Usqr=g_ij*u_iu)j
Where g_ij is the 2 space metric and u are charge values of the 2 space
vector.
So that we get
Usqr( 1)=0 Usqr(2)=+1 Usqr(3)=-1`
The quarks must also carry the same topological charges related to family
number. But we do not see the same mixing ratios in the quark sector. In fact
the ckm matrix is nearly diagonal. So if there are topological charges which
are responsible for the observed mixing we see in the lepton sector this
effect must be suppressed for quarks.
However, it is believed that in fact that the parameters of the mixing
matrix might be energy related. At high energies, based on Quark lepton
complementarity considerations, we might expect a common mixing matrix given by
W= U_mns*V_ckm
This would give us
Theta_12 =42.3 +- 6.8 degrees Theta_13= 9.3 +- 14.3 degrees
Theta_23=47.4+-12.7 degrees.
Which indicate near bimaximal mixing.
The details of the helon model require family structure be a result of some
yet to be identified topological structure. If further work reveals a the
basic kind of topological structure predicted by the two space model this
would be a confirming data point for the 2 space model , increasing the
credibility of the connection of these predications and fundamental particle
structure. More than this can not be said at this time.
DEEP WATERS
Helon structures are believed to exist at the Planck scale. But obviously
notion of space, time and casualty are questionable
descriptives at this scale. The fundamental translation symmetries of time
and space are clearly emergent properties. Therefore in what sense are
descriptives like locality and causality meaningful for this model? Causality can
be seen to be emergent from the suppositions of topologies existing at this
scale. This invokes a measurement process as an essential element of the
descriptive of causality.
Locality is even more problematic. In LQG locality is defined as when
neighboring structure are connected by a link. This is called micro locality. But
without any possible notion of space or time it seems impossible to connect
this with macro locality.
The actual causal relationships at this scale are abstract. We can only
represent this energy regime by evolution algebra, an abstract description of the
causal structure.
We can describe the space of these braiding and twisting topological charges
as
H=H^T X H^B
But in reality is it misleading to describe H as any kind of space at all.
At this scale all descriptives are pre geometric. We are forced to view this
algebra as nothing more than a quantum information processing system. Here
each parameter is not a defined bit but a qubit , a superposition quantum
state of information. Any observable descriptive is emergent and measurement
dependent.
An important requirement is that these superposition states are the robust
states defined by noiseless subsystem formalism. These are protected from
decoherence because they transform under symmetries that commute with their
evolution.
[H, A_evol]=0
Where H are the robust superposition states and A_evol is the evolution
function. Here a quote may be useful.
“ From the NS perspective these translation symmetries should emerge as
additional symmetries which protect the degrees of freedom we have identified as
elementary particles. This will guarantee that the interactions among the
particles conserve the EMERGENT NOTIONS OF ENERGY AND MOMENTUM. It is this that
allows us to use topological conservation numbers to represent matter. “
The striking point here is that all of observables in physics are emergent
properties of matter. In essence this is the ultimate relational perspective
on reality.
What we call reality, the reality that kicks back, is the product of an
underlying unobserverable abstract structure. We should not be surprised that our
normal categories of perception which evolved to be useful at the macro
scale fail us completely at the micro scale. What perhaps we should find
surprising is that our mathematical tool box still allows us to explore physical
reality at this scale. See Links.
Bob Zannelli
(http://arxiv.org/ftp/hep-ph/papers/9904/9904493.pdf)
_http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0503/0503213.pdf_