Re: [Phys-l] Unit Conversions (was Mass and Energy)

Hi all-
Michael Edmiston provides us with the following tale:

a student asks for help with the capacitor lab and has inverted the
conversion from picofarads to farads.

ME: Is a picofarad larger or smaller than a farad.
Student: Smaller
ME: Okay, so if you are converting picofarads to to farads, do you
expect to get a really big number or a really small number.
Student: Big
ME: Is a penny larger or smaller than a dollar.
Student: Smaller. Are you telling me I did the picofarad thing
backwards?
ME: If you count the pennies in your penny jar and get
three-hundred-forty-two, is that a lot of dollars or not so many
dollars?
Student: I did the picofarad thing backwards didn't I. So if I switch
it around it will come out okay, right?
ME: I'm not going to tell you. You figure it out.
Student: Well if I didn't do it backwards you wouldn't be so stressed
out about it.

Goodness. Not only does he not understand how to think this through, he
doesn't even want to think it through. Apparently that's too painful.

I don't think that this tale leads to Mike's conclusion. Not at all. I suggest that there is no way to decide from this story what the student wants or what he/she wants to think about.
Hint: Where is the main focus of the student's attention, and what is your guess as to the reason for that focus.
Hint: "I tell students" is a different phrase from, "What students seem to learn in my class is ..."
Regards,
Jack