Re: [Phys-l] Mass and Energy

Hugh Haskell wrote:

When I started teaching, I quickly found that, even though we were
using SI almost exclusively, units still were a barrier to
understanding, and they spent more time worrying about which units to
use where than they did trying to figure out what was going on. So I
decided to simply remove that impediment from the playing field and
always use strictly SI units, at least for the first semester. They
spent a lot of time in chemistry classes worrying about unit
conversions, so I figured that I would leave that to the chemists,
since they seemed to enjoy that sort of thing.

To say it in my own words:

a) As a junior, in chemistry class, Johnny learned about unit
conversions.

b) As a senior, in physics class, Johnny knows so little about
unit conversions that it is "a barrier to understanding".

It seems that item (b) is a pretty sad commentary on item (a).

In particular, it would seem that "learned" might not be the right
verb in item (a). I don't know what did happen, but evidently
Johnny did not _learn_ unit conversions, not in any useful sense
of the word.

When I did, I found
that understanding seemed to come quicker, and once they understood
what was going on, the unit problems pretty much went away. When they
were able to concentrate on learning physics, without having to mess
with unit conversions, it got easier, and when they later ahd to face
problems with unit conversions, they didn't seem nearly so difficult
to them, and they were able to incorporate them with only minimal
effort.

OK!