Re: [Phys-l] Q: Why are manhole covers round?

Perhaps John can explain more about his intent.

It's a joke.

My sense of humor is best appreciated by people who have the appropriate
level of sophistication ... such as 12-year-olds.

===============

It doesn't pay to analyze jokes too much, but one of the things that makes
this joke tick is the fact that it answers the literal meaning of the
question without addressing what was normally/presumably the intent of
the question.

Many "why" questions leave themselves open to smart-aleck answers in this
way.

And that is unsurprising, because typically there is a long _chain_ of
causative factors leading up to the event in question. Each of the
factors meets the definition of "cause" ... but some factors are more
interesting, more informative, or more pivotal than others.

While we're on the subject: here's a fable ... not original with me ... I
would love to cite the original author, but I have no idea who that might be.

Q: Why does Mr. Smith have a broken leg?