[Phys-l] Ratings of US High Schools - my two cents

Richard Hake wrote:

Dennis Roberts (2006), in his post of 4 May 2006 to EvalTalk and EdStat titled "Ratings of US High Schools" wrote [bracketed by lines "RRRRRRR. . . ."; ellipses "..." in the original; slightly edited]:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
A Washington Post Education writer, Jay Mathews, came up with a system that essentially does the following:

HS Rating = (# of HS students in 2005 who have taken Advanced
Placement or International Baccalaureate TESTS) / (# of graduating seniors) ...
This value is calculated ... then the ratings for 1000 HSchools are shown.

I would be interested in ANY discussion ANY of you have related to this matter

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Here is my $0.02:

Let us imagine that there is a competition "The most beautiful man in America" and the winner is determined by a sole criterion: height. A reasonable person may ask these questions, then:

- How can you possibly think that a single criterion determine the beauty of a person?
- Isn't the beauty in the eye of the beholder - in other words, inherently subjective?
- What is the purpose of this conext anyway? It seems demeaning to the participants and of no use to society at large. Shouldn't we just scrap it altogether?

IMHO, a reasonable person may ask exactly the same questions about the Newsweek rating system...

Boris Korsunsky