Re: [Phys-l] the twistorical approach

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>

Subject: [Phys-l] the twistorical approach

One sometimes hears "the historical approach" suggested as a way to
motivate and to organize an intro-level physics course. It just cracks
me up.

In my experience, the folks who make that claim can do so with a straight
face only because they are so ignorant of the real history that they don't
realize how badly they are twisting the facts.

I'm glad we are keeping you amused, but you are setting up a straw man here. I doubt that many intro physics courses purport to teach the history of physics. Rather, many look to the MAJOR historical bookmarks to structure a course. That really is nothing more than:

1) Start with Aristotle--critical because most students (people) have conceptions of the physical world that are Aristotelian in nature.
2) Newtonian mechanics--the three laws and gravitation as the culmination of the congealing of scientific thought and method from Aristotle to Newton. The stress being on now having models that are useful for accurately predicting the behavior of many physical systems.
3) Usually one throws in something about the development of thermodynamics only to the depth of talking about the Caloric theory and how it was 'widely accepted' by reasonable scientists until ultimately proven wrong (I know JG thinks we all still believe in it!) In other words, this is presented as an example of how science tends to (is supposed to) work [all the messy details are purposely omitted].
4) 20th Century Physics--Einstein et. al. Used to show that while the Newtonian models remain useful in most cases, that the advances in observational and theoretical science ultimately leads to new models that more completely describe the observed phenomenon.

That's about it. That's what most of us would describe as an historical approach. We spend at most a week on (1) and maybe a couple weeks on (4) within a 1 semester intro course. The rest of the time is spent on (2).

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Updated animation packages.
COMING: Spanish language versions.
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm