Re: [Phys-l] Physics First

----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Gates-fac" <Josh_Gates-fac@nobles.edu>

I definitely agree that the 9th grade course really can't be a
traditional intro topic sequence, as the lack of math skills and
experience will make it devolve into the kind of course that you're
talking about - phenomenological memorization, at best.
I think that the real opportunity here is to recognize that, and not feel
beholden to the kinematics, dynamics, energy, elec., mag., oscillations
sequence. Little will be possible other than some memorization on most
topics, which will of course be forgotten by 12th grade.
Recognizing this, I think that the key is to plan an exclusively
skills-based curriculum, focusing on all of those things that we decry our
11th/12th grade students lacking: graph analysis, experimental design,
rudimentary error analysis, linear sequential thinking, practical lab
skills such as soldering, using lab hardware, and instrumentation, a real
attention to units, and scientific literacy (I mean both some basic
knowledge about "real life" topics and the fostering of a critical eye of
scientific and pseudo-scientific claims). I'm still planning the
curriculum, but I'm thinking about pursuing these skills in topics where
there's also a real chance of meaningful physical understanding and some
out-of-the-classroom applicability, like oscillators (thinking sound
mostly), moon phases and eclipses, electronics (phenomenologically here,
not getting into the nuances of E and V as much as building up intuition
for what V means, for what components do, how they function together, and
practical experience following diagrams and building devices by hand),
energy, and projectile motion (without bogging down in the algebra).

I think there are plenty of models for these 9th grade courses--general education college courses. I teach such a course and believe me, the average math level is probably BELOW 9th grade. BUT...one can use enough Algebra to work on important concepts. People keep bad-mouthing conceptual level physics and think such have to end up as memorization courses, BUT:
a) IMO, it is the lack of a first level conceptual course, where students have to really work through many of their misconceptions about the physical world, that reduces the effectiveness of our more traditional courses. The one thing (and maybe the only thing ;-) I would not question about the Physics Educational Research findings, is that success in a traditional Algebra or Calculus-based introductory physics course is no guarantee of conceptual understanding of the material. I fear that experienced teachers probably forget how little real understanding they had of much of the intro material until they were faced with teaching it. Therefore, a _good_ conceptual course, dealing with a limited set of topics (Newton's Laws, conservation laws, Calorimetry, DC current electricity, geometrical optics) would set students up for their next level encounter. After all, a physics major has always involved a spiral approach to the material--same topics, over and over at increasingly sophisticated (math) levels. What has been missing, IMO, is the proper start of the spiral.
b) Such courses CAN be taught without relying on memorization. In my course, students can bring a 4x6 card to the final with anything they want written on it [some try to inscribe the entire semester's notes in the tiniest printing imaginable] but still the final is not easy. Look at the questions Hewitt publishes in the Physics Teacher each month. One can teach FOR UNDERSTANDING rather than memorization. And then there IS the skill set that Josh mentions. Lab work can also be structured to start with well outlined (cookbook) activities that stress many of these skills, but then advance to more independent study and incorporate experimental design.

The real problems with Physics First--well known by the advocates:

1) Too few qualified teachers. When the 20% become 100% there is clearly a need for a huge number of new physics teachers. To do conceptual courses 'right' you need more than a math instructor with a physics course. This is maybe the one factor that ultimately dooms the program.

2) Current physics teachers tend to be 'spoiled'. That is, they get the cream of the crop. Physics is an elective and one only suited to the college-prep track. The discipline problems are far fewer with students who have elected a course. Being faced with now teaching the entire school's population of 9th graders is not a pleasant prospect. Therefore (and understandably) you tend to hear the most vocal opposition to Physics First from established HS physics teachers.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Updated animation packages.
COMING: Spanish language versions.
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm