[Phys-l] bugs and physics!

In today's (May 2) Science Times (NY Times), there was a small but
interesting article ("The Greenest Car?") on page F1. In a nutshell, it
said that cars sometimes attract aquatic insects, like mayflies. The
insects mistake the shiny car surface for water and try to lay their eggs
on it.

Research was done, and it was found that the insects much preferred red
and black colors. The reason? Light reflected from the dark surfaces is
highly polarized and reflected in a horizontal direction -- just like
water. Light-colored cars were recommended in wetland habitats, but dirty
cars don't fool the insects at all.

Thus, the authors concluded, the most environmentally friendly car would
be one that never gets washed. It would save on water, too.

Interesting. I drove a gray Blazer when I lived in south Florida for five
years, and I always wondered...