Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

On 01/05/2006, at 1:35 PM, John Denker wrote:

As surely as a set of force vectors can sum to zero, a set of
acceleration vectors can add to zero.
F1 = m a1
F2 = m a2
F3 = m a3

(F1+F2+F3) = 0
(a1+a2+a3) = 0

The F=ma law does not give any preference to F relative to a.

Separate and distinct forces can act on a particle.

The particle experiences one unique acceleration, not separate accelerations associated with each force.

Or, putting it slightly differently: more than one force can act on a particle but a particle can only experience a single acceleration (which, of course, may be zero).

In relation to John Denker's words above, I know what a set of force vectors acting on a particle is; I do not know what a set of acceleration vectors relating to a particle is. I do know what a set of vector components describing the acceleration of a particle is, but that is something different.

If what is written is a claim that when a particle has three forces acting on it there is a separate acceleration associated with each force, well, I just can't buy that.

Brian McInnes