Re: [Phys-l] Equations

With regard to John Denker's puck on the turntable example, I agree with Dan that it is not "perverse" to suggest that the acceleration is "caused by" the force. One can make a very reasonable argument for making such a suggestion.

Nevertheless, I disagree with Dan that it would be perverse to suggest that it's the other way. Again, one can make a very reasonable argument for so suggesting.

Both of those "very reasonable" arguments, however, are *nothing* more than that. One simply cannot *logically* assign cause and effect status to F and a. As John D. and others in similar discussions here in the past have opined, Newton's second law is simply *not* a statement of cause and effect. Like virtually every law of physics, it is a statement of equality.

Dan writes:

I can control how much force is applied to the puck without changing any properties of the puck by changing the properties of the surface of the turntable. Therefore, it would be perverse to suggest that the force is caused by the acceleration of the puck. On the other hand, because I can change the acceleration of the puck by changing the force, it logically follows that the force causes the acceleration of the puck.

There's certainly no "logic" involved in reaching that conclusion. Moreover, one does not in any direct way "control the force" in this situation and the nature of the surface simply does *not* "determine" the force. It is the rotation rate and the position of the puck on the turntable that one both a) most commonly "controls" and that b) "determine" the acceleration (assuming, of course, that the puck does not slip.)

It seems to me that there are good pedagogical reasons for writing Newton's Second Law as a = F/m, but it also seems to me that it is gravely wrong to actively teach students that any such equation expresses causality. Indeed, I think it's important to *stress* that they do not.

I go to some lengths to make clear to students that the process of solving physics problems involves identifying the physical principles involved so that one can amass a set of "relationships" between the parameters of the problem. Once one has those relationships, one can start the (less interesting) process of asking which ones happen to be known and which ones can be sussed out from the relationships. This process of writing down the relationships irrespective BOTH of what is "known" or "unknown" AND of what might be considered "cause" or "effect" is what we do first when we *write* good physics problems. By the same token, it is what students should learn to do first in order to *solve* good physics problems.

John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and