Re: [Phys-l] Equations

Hi all-
I do do not disagree with anything that Mike says,
although I think that the point may be made more forcefully
by recognizing the fundamental ambiguity embedded in an
equal sign (sometimes resolved by use of an identity symbol).
"F=ma" states a relationship among three, separately
measurable physical quantities. It relates three previously
unrelated clases of experiments.
w = integral(F dot dx) defines a mathematical
quantity, w. If you have separate way of measuring w (not
assumed here), than this meaning of the equal sign becomes
identical to the first meaning. In the absence of such a
"separate way", then w has meaning only through the definition
and the equal sign could be replaced by an identity sign.
Regards,
Jack