Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] more on sound

Pretty much. On my amplifier, the dB scale is

output (in dBs) = 10 log [(actual power out)/(maximum
possible power out)]

So it reads 0 when I'm driving the 100 W amp at 100 w.

dB = 10 log (100 W/100 W) = 10 log (1) = 10 (0) = 0

On the other hand, at 10 W output it reads

dB = 10 log (10 W/ 100 w) = 10 log (0.1) = 10 (-1) =
-10

At no output, the dial reads negative infinity since
that's what log approaches if it's input is zero.

Lots of devices use dB to represent changes in energy
or power. A connector that says it has a 3 dB loss
says that it has lost about half of its power.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover

--- Michael Porter <listmoe@gmail.com> wrote:

I think the web site in question answers this -- the
dB scale is
comparative, and on audio equipment it is used to
compare signal
strength with some reference value, not the
threshold of hearing. A
negative value just means that particular signal is
a fraction of the
reference value.