Re: [Phys-l] fire starter from the sun

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Michael Edmiston wrote:

I don't understand the comment about f/stop clouding the issue. It
seems f/stop (i.e. f/ratio) is exactly what people need to understand
(for this case and many other cases).

big, i.e. the aperture, although big, is not big compared to the focal
length. The sun does not focus to a spot, but focuses to a fairly large
circle more than an inch in diameter. "Why won't it focus sharper?"
they ask. I point out that it is sharp. If there are clouds, you can

Hi all-
I must be missing something if the discussion so far is correct.

Heere's my analysis: We're not focussing the sun's image, we are placing the focal point of the rays from the sun on the fuel. The rays focus to an angle of about lambda/D radians, at a distance f from the lens, where lambda is the average wavelength, D is the diameter of the lens, and f the focal distance of the lens. The spot radius is therefore:
(lambda/D)f
and the area is the square of this quantity (time pi). The energy concentrated is proportional to D^2, so the lens diameter cancels out, and the energy density in the spot is inversely proportional to f^2. Short focal-length lenses (thick lenses) work better - which accords with my memories of childhood.
Regards,
Jack