Re: [Phys-l] Current as Vector

At 09:32 AM 3/23/2006, you wrote:
Brian writes:

> Let us suppose I have a cube of graphite a kilometer on a side.
///
>And suppose I consider a situation near the middle of this mass.
>Suppose I have a driving voltage field ///
[or] "electric field."

>Should I say that the current in the middle of this mass is a
>scalar, now I don't have the invisible directional constraints
>of conductive wires in air that allow me ..er.. you to talk as though
>directionality is a given?

...the situation is entirely standard. Unless the
graphite is in crystalline form it has an isotropic conductivity and
the current density (a vector) at any point is proportional to the
local electric field (another vector.) If it is in crystalline form
then we need to use the conductivity tensor instead.

If you really still want to know some "current," then you'll first
have to specify an open surface and distinguish its two sides so that
I may calculate the value of the current (a signed scalar) across
that surface from the flux of the current density.

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Ah: mind experiments are SUCH fun, and so appealing to
physics people.
So here I am sitting on an imaginary straight transparent pipe,
which has the splendid property that it will allow just one
charge carrier to enter at a time, and I can image each
passing charge. It will come as no surprise
that in a conductive material like graphite, these carriers move
rather slowly. There again, they are quite numerous.

I am able to orient the pipe so that it is in the direction of the
local current deep in the block.
Any other orientation would reduce the current
that I measure, naturally. And I measure the current by counting
the charge carriers passing me in unit time.

If I were to attempt an orthodox measure of current using an
area represented by the pipe's entrance, I would be in trouble.
This area is close to infinitesimal, so I would over-estimate a huge
current I imagine.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!