Re: [Phys-l] expand your mind

Vern Lindberg wrote:
Bagels start as a ball. It is then rolled into a cylinder, and that is formed into the torus. No hole is punched.

I saw it either on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, or Sesame Street, but I can't give a more precise reference than that.

1) There's more than one way to do it. I wasn't just guessing when
I spoke of punching a hole in a ball:
http://www.google.com/search?q=bagel+recipe+ball+hole

2) Forming a torus from a cylinder also puts the inside under
compression and the outside under tension ... though to a much
lesser degree than punching a hole in a ball.

Either way, the memory-effect hypothesis is still viable.