Re: [Phys-l] Relativisitic mass vs Invariant mass

Moses Fayngold wrote:

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

"The fact that that object appears to another observer to asymptotically approach the speed of light is the "observer's" problem"

According to Relativity, all observers enjoy equal rights and
may deserve equal attention.

Actually, that's not quite true. Comoving observers DO enjoy a few minor special rights and may, in some cases, deserve a little more attention.

If we engage into dismissing something as an observer's problem, we should not do Physics.

Point taken. If it wasn't clear that I was purposefully overspeaking a bit with the conscious intent of being provocative, I apologize and affirm that I was.

Later, in referring to my solution of his electron positron annihilation problem, Moses writes:

The system of the two photons moving in the opposite directions has a nonzero invariant mass. John determines this mass referring to pre-existing electron-positron system. This is perfectly OK, but what if I do not know about prehistory?

No problem. Just measure the momenta of the two photons and then DISCOVER for yourself that the invariant mass of the two photon system has a numerical value that is equal to twice the invariant mass of an electron. It matters not at all whether or not the two photons were produced in an annihilation event (but I must say that the appearance of two photons 1) hacing equal and opposite momenta, 2) moving away from each other along the same line, and 3) having energies equal to that of an electron and a positron at rest IS VERY highly suggestive!)

I may only detect the produced photons themselves, and
it is reasonably then to express the rest mass of the two-photon
system in terms of the constituting photons only, without any
reference to prehistory.

Absolutely. See the above.

In this case John's description only illustrates limitations of the concept of invariant mass alone. The only way to remove these limitations is to invoke the concept of relativistic mass.

I disagree. John Denker has also fully addressed this objection.