Re: [Phys-l] RC Disharge Analysis

Michael Edmiston wrote:

Do any of you have a clean way out of this?

First, draw the diagram. (I wish I got paid a dollar every time I
told a student to draw the diagram. My powers of visualization are
better than theirs, yet *I* find the diagrams helpful ... surely
they would find them at least as helpful....)

____>>>________ V
| |
-------- Z
-------- Z
|___________|___

///

V = Q/C capacitor law
V = I R resistor law (Ohm's law)
Q/C = I R equating equals to equals
--or--
Q/C - I R = 0 Kirchhoff's loop law, with due regard to signs
dQ/dt = -I current is flowing _out_ of the capacitor
dQ/dt = -Q / R C plugging in
Q = Q0 exp(-t / R C) integrating

Method 2:

____<<<________ V
| |
-------- Z
-------- Z
|___________|___

///

V = Q/C capacitor law
V = - I R resistor law (Ohm's law) ... with unconventional
assignment of direction of current
Q/C = - I R equating equals to equals
--or--
Q/C - I R = 0 Kirchhoff's loop law, with due regard to signs
dQ/dt = I current is flowing _into_ the capacitor
dQ/dt = -Q / R C plugging in
Q = Q0 exp(-t / R C) integrating

I hope you appreciate the importance of the diagram in clarifying
the relationship between V, I and dQ/dt.

If that doesn't answer the question, please re-ask.