[Phys-l] Temperature in Space

I have a question from Giancoli that I am trying to get a good answer to for my high school class.
" The temperature high in the earth's atmosphere is 700C yet an animal would freeze to death up there. Explain"

What does the temperature of 700C refer to exactly? When one says the temperature on the moon in sunlight is 250C, what does this really mean?

Thanks for your advice on this one, I am looking for a good way to explain this to high school students.

David Abineri

--
dabineri@fuse.net