Re: [Phys-l] heat loads, was Insulation R-values

On Feb 17, 2006, at 10:31 PM, jbellina wrote:

I'm not sure what you want...do you mean the average thermal
conductivity of your house? You could I suppose turn off the heat
and track the interior temperature as function of time. That should
be an exponential decrease in temperature with the conductivity in
the exponent, so if you did the proper linearization you could
extract the product of the conductivity and the geometric factors
like area and wall thickness.

That is another method to determining the coefficient of conductivity. Here is how I would implement it by using a box with a lamp, as suggested by Mike. That box, with a thermometer inserted, is suspended in still air whose temperature is constant.

a) Start when the temperature inside is the same as the temperature outside, for example, 20 C. Turn the electric power on and wait for a desired temperature, for example, 50 C.
b) Knowing the time it takes, and the power of the heater, calculate the amount of heat, Q, received by the box. For example, Q=12,000 J when P=40 W and time is 300 s
c) Knowing the mass of the box, for example, m=2 kg, calculate its heat capacity, K, for example, K=12,000/2=6000 joules per degree C.
d) Start collecting data for the cooling curve. Suppose that the temperature is 32 C at t=1000 s and 28 C at t=1600 s.
e) How much heat was lost in 600 s? It is K*4=24,000 J. Use this to calculate H=24,000/(2*10)= 1200 J/(m^2^C). I am assuming that the area of the box is 2 m^2, and that the temperature inside the box is 30 C.
f) Knowing H calculate k from its definition (H=k*dt/d), as described yesterday. Or define R and calculate it from your own definition.

Textbooks tell us that H, in the definition of k, refers to conductive losses only. My definition of R, in a market situation, would be in terms of total losses. Why? Because consumers are likely to be interested in total loses only. Also because measuring the total H is much easier that measuring only one part of it.

Does convection play a significant role when a box has no holes? Suppose it is windy outside. Wind is a form of convection. With wind the outer surface of each wall has the same temperature as cold air. Without the wind the situation might be more complicated because the outer surface of the wall might not have the same temperature as cold air. The temperature might be, for example, 21 C when the cold air temperature is 20 C. That is why, at least in principle, conditions under which R is measured should be part of its definition.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.