Re: [Phys-l] test : fancy symbols, utf-8 encoding

For those of you who are running a text-based mailer such as pine
or mutt, and want it to handle unicode:

1) The unicode feature (or lack thereof) is not a property of the
mailer, but rather a property of the window it's running in. You
need to start a unicode-aware window, and then run pine/mutt/whatever
in that window.

2a) According to the documentation, you might think it would suffice
to run "xterm -u8" or "LANG=en_US.UTF-8 xterm" but neither of those
actually works for me. I get the error message "locale not supported
by Xlib; locale set to C" ... which is not terribly informative.

2b) Instead "uxterm" appears to be the correct incantation (on Debian
Sarge at least).

3) There are various other prerequisites and things that could go
wrong; for details, see e.g.
http://www.rano.org/mutt.html