[Phys-L] Re: Warning: Don't ask for Library loans on Political Topics

Thank you for the references.

Sorry, bc, it is just ignorance on my part. I guess I am asking for the legal
definition of "war", within the US Constitution, etc.

I *think* I understand that the "Joint Resolution" is the basis of the action.
However, I am fuzzy about the distinction between a "Declaration of War" and the
"Authorization to Use of US Armed Forces".

It seems to me that we were involved every bit as deep in Korea and Vietnam, but
called them "police actions", *NOT* "Wars".

The term "WAR" is bantied about as the explanation for the legality of certain
actions, and I would prefer a more correct term if we are not "at war", as in
World War II, etc. If we are actually "at war", then I need to think about that a
bit more. For example, why are we using the National Guard, so heavily
(rhetorical this time) if *WAR* has been declared, "oficially"? Karl

Quoting Bernard Cleyet <bernardcleyet@REDSHIFT.COM>:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/10/20021002-2.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/11/
AR2005111101832.html

http://www.shockingelk.com/text/joint_authorization/

Was that a rhetorical ?, or you hadn't read the aboves, as reported in
the media?

bc, who thinks it was rhetorical.

Karl Trappe wrote:

I missed the declaration...Could someone refresh my memory of the actual
congressional declaration of war? Somehow, I labored under the impression
that the
Iraq invasion was another "police action", like Vietnam and Korea, etc.
When
Congress agreed to pursue the 9/11 terrorists was that done via and actual
"Declaration of War" or was it via authorization of the President to "pursue
the
terrorists"? Obviously, Osama Bin Laden went to Afganistan, his family
resides in
Saudi Arabia, and the Iraq connection has handily been shown to be invalid.
So,
*what, exactly did Congress authorize*?

Fox News has been pointing out that there's an exception for wartime.
Yeah, sure. Take a look at
http://cryptome.sabotage.org/50usc-ch36.htm#50USC1811
and decide for yourself whether it applies.