[Phys-L] Re: earthquakes +- critical thinking

At 09:18 AM 1/3/2006, Joel, you wrote:

[Brian]
| David's argument is tantamount to stating that it is categorically
| impossible for some small stimulus often repeated to avoid or defuse
| some very large effect, This is so open to counter-example
| that I will not
| need to list such out of scale cause and effect scenarios.

[Joel]
I don't understand the objections, I don't think David B. was saying
that bunches of small effects can't be equivalent to one large effect.
His objection, as I understood it, was merely being sceptical of the
number of small effects that were said to be equivalent of the big
effect in question.

| (Big shot professors don't get to be big shot professors by
| stating the obvious,
| far less by proposing the ridiculous, I take it? :-)

In my experience, one can go a far way towards appearing to be an expert
by stating the obvious. As the obvious often is so obvious to many
people; and even to the one's for whom its obvious, it tends to validate
their opinion which helps to inculcate the opinion that the speaker was
an expert.

Happy New Year everyone; the "oughts" are now more than half over.

It appears that Joel, and (I suppose) the list in general imagines
that a 'big-time' professor is reporting his earnest (but erroneous)
considerations on the arithmetic of
1000 X Z^4.5 = 1 X Z^12 or some such.

Please give a reasonable science spokesman the benefit of advocating
a way of reducing the occurrence of major earthquakes by
promoting small earthquakes.
After all, if we assembled here can work an equation
in exponentials, I expect he can too. Wouldn't you think?

Or perhaps he should have uttered the magic phrase (which seems
to have caught fire of late): Tipping Point.
How about this:
"there is a tipping point in the affairs of subduction - taken
at the first latch, a stimulus leads
to relaxation, or one is left in a shallows of hopeless expectation
of the big release, ever more!

:-)
With apologies to Bill.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!