[Phys-L] Re: Ambiguous Question

But thinking skills have been on the decline for some time now, well before
the rash of 'high-stakes' testing. Basic skills have been on the
decline--as almost anyone who has been teaching for any length of time can
attest to.

The first two lines of JC's post sound like a politically motivated
statement to me.

Just HOW then do we ASSESS that the schools are doing their jobs and just
how do we deal with these schools if in fact they are NOT.

I'll be the first to get on the side of teachers here--what they have to
deal with from students and parents is phenomenal, but then our friends the
lawyers (sorry Jack) have seen to it that the schools don't really have any
power to maintain order and discipline, and forget about respect and
civility. BUT, in the end, if the school systems are to serve the society,
they do have to adequately train students in basic skills, and give those
WILLING to learn the opportunities to hone their thinking skills. I, for
one, think it entirely appropriate that there be some 'high-stakes'
evaluation of at least those basic skills (reading, writing, and
'rithmetic'). Exactly what is the best way to do this--we HAVE tested for
centuries now--is open for discussion, especially who should be tested at
what level. [Testing the mentally retarded (sorry--the cognitively
challenged) who happen to be 13 years old with standard 7th or 8th grade
tests when they are struggling to handle _some_ 2nd grade material is
INSANE--but often done.] Exactly what to do when schools 'fail' such
testing is also open for discussion, but I have yet to hear viable
alternatives for making sure that basic skills and basic information is
being effectively taught in our public schools.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
Animations for Lectures
Photo-realistic Lab simulations
Energy management simulations
Energy 2100--class project