[Phys-L] Re: light bulb transient

At 06:39 PM 11/15/2005, Leigh, you wrote:
A uniformly increasing function is linear, while a monotonically
increasing function simply increases without decreasing. A common
example of the former is uniformly accelerated motion in which
velocity increases uniformly in time. The charge on a capacitor
connected to a battery through a resistor is an example of a
monotonically increasing function of time.

I wasn't going to answer this question (I suspect everyone knew
the answer anyway), but something occurred to me. Can the motion
of a particle in a uniform gravitational field, with no other
forces applied, properly be called uniformly accelerated motion?

Leigh

Ahem...I wasn't going to mention it - but a filament fed by AC
does not demonstrate a monotonic temperature change: it goes
uppity-up up, then down down down!
And a uniform function is often taken to be constant in rate -
whereas a filament's temperature changes faster in the middle than
than at the supports.

Well, well well! :-)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!