[Phys-L] Re: quantum of action

John-

I appreciate that this is not a metaphysics list, and I do not mean my
questions to come across as metaphysical, and if they do it is because I
don't know enough to phrase them in the language that you would satisfy
whatever your definition of a properly phrased physics question might be in
this area. I hope I didn't offend you with my questions either, because I
know that you and others on this list have much insight that you could
offer. Perhaps you could take it as a challenge to see if you can explain
complicated concepts in a way that a layperson can understand while not
watering it down to the point of ridiculousness? See my comments inserted
below.

Seth T Miller wrote:

Is it true that we can think of the vacuum energy as giving rise to
_any_
particle recognized by the standard model, including the force carrier
bosons such as the photon and gluon?

That doesn't sound like a physics question.
-- The verb "gives rise" is too vague and too broad.
-- The noun "energy" is too narrow; there's a lot more
involved than just the energy.

Seth: I agree that this is a badly phrased question - can you indicate to me
how you might phrase it? And if the word energy is too narrow, can you
explain what more is involved?

What is the relationship between the
force carrier particles and the vacuum energy? I guess my question has
do with how to think about _energy_...

That's not the right question.

One does not start with "the vacuum energy" and deduce the laws
of physics. One starts with the laws of physics and then learns
from them something about the vacuum and something about energy.

Seth: This sounds good - So what can we learn about the vacuum and energy?
Isn't it something like: a vacuum doesn't look empty over short enough
periods of time because of the energy/time uncertainty relation? And that
this uncertainty allows for the creation of virtual particles which we use
to explain things like the electromagnetic force?

is it right to think that energy can
take the 'form' of particles; particles with mass like quarks, or
particles
without mass like photons and gluons? And that it is the energy (or the
uncertainty of it!) that is primary, and what we call particles
(everything
listed on the standard model) are more like particular forms of
'condensed'
or 'constrained' energy?

No, that's not right.

Seth: This is why I am asking the question, not to be told that my
understanding is not right, which I already knew to begin with, but to be
led towards truth by those who know more in this area than I!

And that in this sense of the primacy of energy,
we can imagine that the most fundamental 'thing' in the universe is
actually
the quantum of action, energy x time, which follows the uncertainty
relation
energy x time > h/2pi? In other words, is it possible to think of the
quantum of action as primary, and all manifest particles, including
photons
and gluons, as expressions of this relation?

No.

Please help alleviate my confusion!

Seth: I reiterate - please help me by at least giving me some indication of
the way in which most physicists would understand the relation between the
vacuum, the uncertainty relation between energy/time, and the particles of
the standard model.

Please note: this is a physics list, not a metaphysics list.

If you want to learn physics, do it the way everybody else does.
Learn the basics before worrying about abstruse things like the
physics of the vacuum.

Seth: On an educational side note: much of what lights the enthusiasm of a
student's mind, in a way that can lead them deep into the study of science,
are exactly the abstruse and _interesting_ aspects which require the most
effort to understand. The work of a good educator is in part to keep that
fire going while giving them a foundation upon which they can see more
thoroughly into their questions and the assumptions that surround them.

Sign up for a physics course at a level
you can handle, and work you way up to the point where you can
understand quantum mechanics at the level of Cohen-Tannoudji or
Baym. Then you will be in a position to ask questions that make
sense, and to make sense of the answers.

Seth: Of course if I desired to become an expert in this area, so I could
ask the proper questions in the proper way, I would do just what you
indicate. But this doesn't mean I am not keenly interested and do not wish
to continue learning - on the contrary that is why I am posting to this
list! If you (or anyone else!) would like to address any of my responses
above, I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance-
-Seth